Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Quotes du jour/Michael Pollan; Black Eyed Peas and Rice


Tom heard Michael Pollan on NPR this morning, and these are some words he jotted down.

Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize.
Eat until you are 80% full.
Eat more plants.
Move food closer to the center of our lives.

This is from In Defense of Food, which I've just ordered from Amazon.

Our supper on this first day of the new year fits the bill just perfectly.

Black Eyed Peas and Rice

This can also be made with black beans. I got the recipe from a vegetarian site online, 12 years ago.

2 cups cooked black beans or black eyed peas
2 cups cooked brown rice
10 oz. package of frozen corn
1 jar of salsa (16 oz.)
1 1/2 cups of V8 juice, or the health food store alternative, which I use, called Very Veggie
1/4 teaspoon cumin

Mix together and bake in a greased casserole dish for 1 1/4 hours at 350º. I stir it a couple times while it is baking. You may serve it in tacos, with cheese, sour cream, or eat just as is. This is truly delicious, and so good for us!

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get my hands on this book. I love MP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nan, I am looking forward to trying this tasty-sounding recipe. I think I could easily become vegetarian--and you do make it sound so simple and nutritious. Best wishes for the coming year and keep up the great writing. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this, Nan. I've forwarded the NPR link to several friends, and plan to make the recipe for my family. Best Wishes for a happy and healthy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara, maybe we could read it together?
    Thank you, Judy, for saying such a nice thing. The recipe really is easy. There's not much I make that isn't. :<)
    Thanks Patrice. I wonder if your family will like it. My kids loved it even when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan, that would be fun! I don't think it will take very long and I think I've already read the article from New York Magazine part of the book is taken from. Funny, I ordered another book called Moveable Feasts, the incredible journeys of the food we eat -they arrived together and the covers are remarkably similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara, I'll let you know when I get it. I've heard of Moveable Feasts. I recently bought another "foodie" sort of book, well, Santa bought it for Tom :<) called Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. Do you have this one?

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.