Saturday, March 15, 2008

Irish Soda Bread



The following recipe comes from the Finding Fair Food blog. It is absolutely, positively the best Irish Soda Bread I've ever had. I used just raisins. And I soured the milk by putting a little lemon juice in the measuring cup, adding milk, and letting it sit a bit. Oh, and I used butter instead of shortening, but you probably already knew that. :<)


Irish Soda Bread

Preheat oven to 375°.

1 Cup all purpose flour
1 Cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Whisk the above ingredients together and put into the food processor. Add 6 Tablespoons chilled shortening and process until mealy. Then remove back into the bowl and stir in 1/2 to 1 cup raisins or dried currants or cranberries, 1 Tablespoon caraway seeds, and a few chopped nuts if desired (I don't think the Irish do this.) Gradually add 1/2 to 3/4 Cup buttermilk or soured milk and shape into a round loaf or put into a greased loaf pan.

Brush the top with milk. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. It looks yummy, too! Hope your readers like it as much as you and I do...

    Mary Lois
    Author, Finding Fair Food

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of ours is Irish. She makes an Irish Bric. I am probably not spelling that right. I get some of it every St Pattys day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way down here on your blog ~~
    I made this the other night and
    loved it. Thank YOU! I'm putting
    lemon curd on it.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lois, I am making it for our Irish friend soon. He said he likes it the way I do, with raisins but no caraway. :<) I love recipes that offer choices. I plan to try yours with the cranberries, too.
    Lisa, what is Bric?? If it is bread, do you have a recipe?
    Bonnie, thanks so much for taking the time to write and say you made it. I have some lemon curd in the refrigerator I made just the other day. I wish I'd thought of putting it on the soda bread. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. came straight over from Mari Nanci's to get this recipe...tx....

    I love to bake...

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.