Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Lemon Cake

This is from the March issue of Martha Stewart Living magazine. I love lemons, and this cake is excellent.

Lemon Cake

1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used mostly white, with 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup soft butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs plus 3 egg whites (so that is 3 yolks and 6 whites - we gave the extra yolks to the dogs!)

Preheat oven to 325º F.
Spray nine-inch round cake pan with cooking spray (the recipe said to use parchment paper and butter it, but this worked great, and the cake popped right out)

Combine sour cream, vanilla, zest, and juice.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, powder, soda, and salt.
Beat butter and sugar in the mixer until pale and fluffy.
Add eggs and whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Beat in sour cream mixture.
Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture, beating until just combined.
Transfer to pan, and smooth top.
Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.
Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then turn out cake onto rack to cool completely.
Before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar.

You may see that I frosted the top instead of dusting it, with a mixture of confectioners' sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice.

This is so delicious! Highly recommended.

9 comments:

  1. I haven't gotten around to opening the March issue yet, but now I must do so tonight! We love lemony desserts and that sounds just delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would omit the whole wheat flour from this recipe. You're not going to make it health food no matter what you do, and the taste would be more lemony with just white flour.

    BTW, have you and Clarice noticed that I've revived a my food blog because of you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nan,
    Lemon is my all time favorite so this one is already in my recipe files. It is perfect for spring.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karla, if you love lemony desserts this one will be a hit.
    Night Stranger, I almost always add some pastry flour. I like the texture it gives. It's not something I can easily describe. It may not be a 'health food' but it does add a bit of substance, maybe is the word. We like it. I've made a lot of things with just the pastry flour with good results. But you have to know that both Tom and I are huge ww flour fans, so it may not be to everyone's liking. And yes, I have been over to your food blog. I think it is great you've 'revived' it.
    Kat, perfect for spring and perfect for this 30º night. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I'll bet it's great with a handful of poppy seeds thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! The recipes you post are always great. I'm going to make this for Easter. Hmmm... That's coming up soon. I guess I'd better start planning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll never lose the extra weight I've gained since I retired with such tempting cakes as this! It looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm ~ I love lemons! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Nan! Oh, and your flower photos are gorgeous!!! ~ hugs, Lynda xo

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.