Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Quote du jour/Thomas a Kempis

Now is the time to be doing, now is the time to be stirring, now is the time to amend myself.
Thomas a Kempis, 1380-1471

Do you feel it? The anticipation? Sometimes it is all I can do to breathe. Though we've had a lot of sunshine this winter, and though I love the winter as no other season, still the light is thrilling now. I've never liked the time changes, either spring or fall, and indeed I have always agreed with Gladys Taber, whose words I used in a quote du jour just a year aqo. But this year is different. I love the early springing ahead of the hour because it feels like I am springing ahead, too. It is light so late now. I find myself eager to get outdoors after a winter when I was in much more than usual. The snow was such that I didn't walk or even snowshoe. The poor dogs would crunch right down through and they stayed close to the house. So I have loved the natural world through windows for months and months now and am almost in rapture thinking of going outdoors, being outdoors, staying outdoors. It feels like I am coming out of my cocoon, my sheltering house, my comfy chair by the warm woodstove. Official Spring begins in my part of the world on March 20 at 1:48 am. I can feel it coming in my heart.

As I walked around the yard this morning, suddenly my eyes were open to all these sights that are on the verge of spring. They are the physical expressions of the "stirrings" in my soul.





10 comments:

  1. Nan, What a beautiful post. We continue to have gray skies and winter weather (snow was falling as I woke this morning) but there are little signs of spring, buried under the icy crystals of snow. I cannot wait, am breathless in anticipation, for the first truly blue sky, the rain-fresh smell of spring in the air, the emegence of the earliest spring blooming flowers. I cannot wait. Your writing this morning was so lyrical. As always, I'm so glad I came by for a visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your nice words, Aisling. I so wish I could send these sunny blue skies your way. Here's a photo you'll like, and a blog you may want to add to your list. I think you'll love it:

    http://bethmaddaus.blogspot.com/
    2008/03/spring-is-down-there-
    somewhere.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Nan. I've barely opened the page there and I love it already. My husband and I backpacked in Baxter State Park on our honeymoon, and camped beside Chimney Pond which she has a photo of on the left side of her blog. Perfect! Thank you for sending me there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love the earthy smell this time of year. It's my favorite part of walking now. Like your header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do feel it, Nan! Yes, a beautiful post. Of course, I know exactly what you mean. And I'm excited, too that I can live a little spring through your lovely thawing photos and words. (Isn't blogging fun?) I agreed too with what you said earlier to me - that messing around with the rhythm of winter. It made perfect sense. I think my rhythm got muddled up what with all our comings and goings of late.

    I really like hearing your thoughts and always love stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your observations of hints of spring. You are truly paying attention! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always Nan, a wonderful post and although I do get annoyed at the time change it really is delightful to have it brighter longer each day.

    We've got snowdrops and daffodil spears. The wrens have been playing outside but it's the deer that are the early birds at the feeder!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post!! Our snow is melting, but it will be awhile before I have little sprouts poking up through the ground. Lucky you! I've been very encouraged by the later sunsets too and the warmer days. The birds have to chirp loudly to be heard over the running water!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nan, beautiful photos - love the header! Spring is here in England and although we've had lots of rain the sun is shining this morning and the sky has is blue with a brilliant sun. It won't last - more rain is coming.

    The mornings are getting lighter here now and I struggle with the time change -when it's back to darker mornings for a while, but only for a while.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.