Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tinky's Cranberry Key-Lime Squares

You may go visit Beth Fish Reads and see what's cookin' this weekend!


This fantastic recipe came from Tinky, and you may find the original at her cooking blog.

Tinky's Cranberry Key-Lime Squares


My notes in are in blue


for the crust:

1 cup flour
6 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

for the middle:

1/2 to 2/3 cup cranberries - I put them through the food processor to chop them up a bit, since mine were quite large. I used 2/3 cup and may use a few more next time because I love cranberries.

for the filling and top:

2 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons key-lime juice
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons flour
confectioner’s sugar as needed for dusting - I forgot this but they were still great


Preheat the oven to 325º F.
Butter (I used cooking spray) an 8-inch-square pan. I didn't have one so used a 7x11 which worked fine.

First, prepare the butter crust.
In a small bowl combine the flour, confectioner’s sugar, and salt. Cut in the butter.

Press this mixture (it will be crumbly!) into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes. I baked it maybe 15-20 min.
Remove the pan from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Press the cranberries into the crust (they may or may not press down effectively; if they float up, they will be just fine!).

Move on to the key-lime filling. In a bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, salt, and key-lime juice until they are thoroughly combined. Whisk in the milk, followed by the flour.

Pour the filling over the crust and cranberries, and return the pan to the oven. Bake until the filling sets and the edges are just a little brown. In my oven this took about 45 minutes.

Allow the bars to cool in their pan; then cut them into squares.

Out of this world delicious! If you don't have any Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice, lemon juice would suffice, but the flavor would be different. N & J's is great stuff, which you could even use in a margarita!


21 comments:

  1. Me too, Pamela and perfect with cranberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Key lime? Cranberries? Oh wow. These sound heavenly. Next month . . . . trying to lose those last 3 pounds from the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are certainly opening up the world of cranberries for me. Are you in cahoots with those two guys I see in the cranberry commercials? Just kidding. This recipe looks like it's moist and yummy. I never would have thought of combining lime and cranberries, but now I'm thinking, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks oh so good. Thanks for this delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so pretty! I love the jewel toned colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again a wonderful recipe with cranberries! I'll be bookmarking this for when my freezer has emptied enough to stash a frozen batch of cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nan, I think yours look better than mine. Rats, now I may have to make them AGAIN. Ah, the calories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beth, the combo is perfection!!

    The Book Girl, they are!

    Margot, I am quite wild about cranberries. :<) If you want more recipes, you may type 'cranberries' into the search bar, and you'll find quite a few! Very funny comment. Thanks.

    Denise, needless to say, they didn't last long.

    Jodi, the taste is sublime.

    Joy, the cranberries are so very red!

    Chinoiseries, I've got quite a few I bought at the store from the fall harvest. I think they came from Maine this year.

    Tinky, well worth every calorie, don't you think?! And cranberries are very good for us. Thanks so much for the recipe, and for allowing me to post it on the blog.

    Staci, it's a terrific combination of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really good. I'm bookmarking this, it may be ideal for the next meeting of my book group.

    ReplyDelete
  10. leeswammes, I hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just finished off a home-made apple tart - looks like I've found this weekend's recipe! :)

    - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm... that looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nan, this recipe is going into my recipe box-looks yummy! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kay and Sherri, thanks. It's a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is on my must try list. Thanks. I don't know if we can buy key lime juice here. I have seen the bags of the little limes though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heather, I think it would be great with lemon juice as well.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.