Saturday, September 6, 2014

What I Learned From TV - September 6

Now that my kids are grown, and Tom has retired, I’ve been able to go back to my natural sleep pattern which is to stay up late and get up late. Tom’s natural rhythm is just the opposite. So, he’s the lark and I’m the owl. And what this owl does in the late hours is watch television- not in the traditional way but through Hulu, Netflix, TunnelBear, and Acorn TV. Most of the shows are British, though I am a great fan of a few American television shows, and have been watching some from other countries now that we have TunnelBear. Some of these shows Tom will watch in the mornings, but some of them are all mine. So, when I hear a great quote from a show I know he’s not going to watch, I’ll leave him little post-it notes near the computer keyboard. I had a notion this morning to begin a new ‘letter topic’ called What I Learned From TV so I can put up some virtual post-its for you to read and, hopefully, enjoy. Some are funny, some are educational, some are wise.

From New Tricks:

One of the characters has been trying to drink less tea, and is spoken of as being ‘on the wagon.’ Another character says:
“If she’s truly ‘on the wagon,’ she’s been sentenced to death. Condemned prisoners being taken from Newgate to be hanged at Tyburn were allowed to stop off at a pub for one last drink before being put back ‘on the wagon’ for the final part of their journey to execution.”

From The Café: 

My mum’s new therapist is working wonders with her bi-polar. Half the time she’s really happy.

And another one from an earlier episode of New Tricks:

The head of a natural history museum says,

“People visit the museum three times in their lives - once with their parents, once with their children, and once with their grandchildren. We are constantly trying to have them visit more often."

14 comments:

  1. Jim and I are the same way, Nan--although lately, I find I need a little more sleep/energy to keep up with a certain little boy who seems to have an endless supply of energy. I love Acorn TV and am currently watching Vera and then will start with Episode 1 of the Inspector Morse series. Off to check out TunnelBear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Vera and I think there's a new series coming. Via Tunnelbear I also saw Shetland - Cleeves' other series.

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of Tunnel Bear and will check it out. The picture of the television brought back memories. My dad used to fix televisions in his spare time and we often had the wooden cases left over so my sister and I made curtains to go in the front and used them as bedside tables.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a touch of home for you! Love the bedside tables idea!

      Delete
  3. Must find out what Tunnel Bear is ???? I love the British shows... though so often they start to late for me to stay awake! :((( We have to get up at 4:30 a.m. to make it all flow each morning, and get me to work on time... By the time my favorite shows start, I'm slipping over sideways, and falling asleep with a sip of tea in my mouth still.... (can you drown in your sleep?)
    May I ask who provides your Internet up there? (i like to plan ahead, in case I get to stay up there longer than a few days)> I am looking forward to your next selection of things you learned from t.v. ~ but please don't stop reviewing book occasionally too! :)))0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it! Time Warner is our provider. About 60 bucks a month.

      Delete
  4. Fascinated by the "on the wagon" story. I love learning the origins of words and phrases. Another tidbit for me to astound and amaze someone with! Good to see the pictures of the grandkids since I haven't been able to follow my friends' blogs for quite a while. Hope to keep up now that I'm feeling much better. Dave and I have switched roles. He used to be up early and happy to begin his day while I was a slugabed grumpy soul. Now I'm up early in the quiet house and he sleeps later and later because he can't work and knows he will mostly be watching TV all day. Sad but his Parkinson's has taken his enthusiasm for life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Between RJ and myself, we often quote our favourite movies (we haven't got any favourite series we watch together, except for maybe Midsomer Murders). I don't know any of the series you mention here, but it is fun to find out something like this from TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm eager to watch New Tricks. It's in my queue on Netflix, so it won't be long now.

    Rod and I both get up at 5:00 during the week. We love our weekends when we can sleep until at least 7:30 or 8:00. Pure bliss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After quite a long while, the cast began to change. I didn't think I could bear it, but I love the latest incarnation. Great, great series.

      Delete
  7. Hi Nan! If you have Hulu you can find a lot of great old obscurities in their movie section. I think you would love a 50s movie called "Hobson's Choice". I did. Directed by David Lean, great acting all the way around (including by Charles Laughton and John Mills). Also "The Browning Version" if you haven't seen that. We stumbled on an Alec Guinness comedy called "The Card" (I think) with Glynnis Johns... You can search their names too, of course. All great for Anglophiles. I hope you are well. Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually gave up Hulu. Not enough good stuff, and hated the ads. But don't worry I get plenty of my Anglophile stuff via BBC and ITV now!!

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.