Friday, November 28, 2008

Friday Finds/November 28

I didn't do a Friday Finds post last week, so this one will offer two weeks of discoveries. Go here to see what treasures other people found.

1. My first find is really a rediscovery. I remember buying Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons for my kids, but I didn't read it to them, and am not sure if they ever read it. But the whole series was a huge hit with my close friend's three children, and when I read about it here, I knew the time had come for me to begin reading the books myself.

2. The Fortnight in September by R.C. Sherriff sounds wonderful to me. You may read more here. This is yet another Persephone gem, and will be on my next order.

3. I love the title of this book, No! I Don't Want to Join a Bookclub. The reviewer wrote:

Her reaction when friends suggest she join a book club as she turns sixty is similar to mine. She says, “Book club people always seem to have to wade through Captain Corelli’s Mandolin or, groan, The God of Small Things. They feel they’ve forever got to poke their brain with a pointed stick to keep it working. But either you’ve got a lively brain or you haven’t. And anyway, I don’t want to be young and stimulated any more. I want to start doing old things, not young things.”

I simply can't resist this one! It is by Virginia Ironside, and you may read more here.

4. Just as I've been saying forever that I simply must read Reginald Hill's Dalziel & Pascoe series (and have finally bought the first two!), I feel the same way about Georges Simenon's Maigret books. I've read just one story, and seen the television version with Michael Gambon, but I really have to begin the long series. This is the second mention of Simenon in a Friday Finds post, so clearly, it is time. The title is My Friend Maigret, and you may read more here.

5. I just read about The Bread and Butter Stories by Mary Norton this very morning. You may read more here. I must get this book immediately!

12 comments:

  1. Nan, I know I've told you this before, but your header pics are just fantastic! I always look forward to coming over to your blog and finding what new picture awaits me! :D

    This one, with the colorful dishes, is really cool! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard of 'No! I Don't Want to Join a Bookclub' and I thought it was interesting, but I haven't read it yet. I'm still trying to decide if I should get a copy or wait until later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of the Mary Norton and it sounds lovely, or the V Ironside but her name was so familiar..and I could see aphoto of her in a magazine..(in my head if that makes sense)and so I googled her and she used to write for magazines back when I read them! and she has a blog too
    http://www.virginiaironside.org/
    Thanks Nan

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Virginia Ironside book sounds great!

    I'm not usually that keen on short stories, but I love the cover to The Bread and Butter Stories.

    My Friday Finds are here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe there is someone else who remembers Swallows and Amazons. One of my all-time favorite childhood series. They've just come out on audio and I plan to listen to them all in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nan, I love your header image. That Fiestaware is so colorful and pretty!

    I'd love to read some of the Persephone releases.

    I actually have No, I Don't Want to Join a Bookclub if only I could find the time to read it.

    Shana
    Literarily

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound so excited about your finds. I love how books inspire us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have wanted to have my kids reads Swallows and Amazons and others by Arthur Ransom but alas, they are too old now for me to force my literature picks on them, so maybe like you, I will read them to myself! They are true childhood classics.
    *smiles*
    Kim
    http://pageafterpage-kim.blogspot.com/2008/11/on-to-tbr-list-it-goes.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Dalziel & Pascoe series and Maigret, too! I've read all but the most recent of the Dalziel and Pascoe books, but it's been a while since I've read a Maigret mystery. I really should pick them up again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a copy of No! I Don't Want to Join a Bookclub. Sounds good, doesn't it?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good call on the Ransome books. I heartily recommend them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that Book Club book quote. That book and the Swallows and Amazons which I have meant to read for so long and just haven't yet - it seems like a summer read, doesn't it? (other people do separate their books and music into summer reads, summer music, winter reads, winter music, or am I alone in this?) Anyway, you find the best books :)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.