Thursday, April 7, 2011

Potato Pancakes - Four

I have no idea where this recipe came from. It was in my recipe box, and simply titled:

German Potato Pancakes

Grate 3 (or more) cups potatoes into a bowl. (I used 4) - a cup is equal to a good-sized russet.
Combine with 2 beaten eggs.
Add 2 Tablespoons grated onion (or chives in season).
Mix together and stir in:
1 1/4 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon salt

Make into patties and fry in olive oil.
I didn't make them into patties; I simply spooned the mixture onto the griddle, which was greased with cooking spray.

This time we have a recipe with more potatoes, and a new addition of parsley. There is a different potato/flour ratio. No baking powder.

You can see that the pancakes are more scraggly - not as formed as the other versions - due to more potatoes with less to hold them together.


The recipe made more pancakes, 8 instead of 6, and they were larger. I think because of more potato and less flour they cooked differently. The pancakes were a touch darker, but the potatoes didn't cook as well - were a bit raw. We couldn't taste the onion that much. Our verdict: this is the first recipe we are going to throw away and not make again.

3 comments:

  1. OK... I'll toss it out, too. I like the look of the parsley in there though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad. I wonder if it would help to parboil the potatoes first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay, you'll see from today's post the final results!

    JoAnn, I wouldn't want to bother when there are other recipes I like just fine. :<)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.