Sunday, September 30, 2012

Today's song/Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day

A few weeks ago, I decided that I would post one of my favorite Green Day songs at the end of September. All of us have months that remind us of the loved ones who died in that month. For Billie Joe Armstrong it is September, the month in which his father died when Billie Joe was just a boy. In addition to that yearly reminder, he has had himself a difficult September 2012, beginning with a sudden illness and immediate hospitalization leading to a cancelled concert in Italy. Then he went on a little rampage flailing out at a young singer. And finally he has gone into treatment for substance abuse. My heart goes out to him as I offer his wonderful song on this last day of September.



Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends

Like my father's come to pass
Seven years has gone so fast
Wake me up when September ends

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when September ends

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends

Ring out the bells again
Like we did when spring began
Wake me up when September ends

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when September ends

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends

Like my father's come to pass
Twenty years has gone so fast
Wake me up when September ends

Wake me up when September ends
Wake me up when September ends

5 comments:

  1. This is so sad that I can't bear to listen to it. It reminds me of Hurricane Katrina since it was played so much at that time. We need to pray for that young talented singer and I shall do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots and lots of pain there- it is a song that many of us could have written if we could.
    Thanks for posting it,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kay and Mary for your kind, caring notes. Did you happen to see Alanis singing Green Day's Basket Case, in honor and support of Billie Joe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad, sad young man. I hope he can overcome his demons. This song breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't been able to find an update. He's on a tv show tonight but it was taped earlier.
      'young man' - not a lot younger than you, dearie!

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.