Thursday, February 16, 2017

The death of Stuart McLean

Tom and I are so sad that Stuart McLean has died. We have spent some of our best times listening to the Vinyl Cafe, entering into the lives of Dave and Morley and the kids. His voice was so perfect. He told stories that seemed as real as could be. He seemed like a friend who just happened to be on the radio. "Come and get me, copper" is a phrase that sets us laughing every time someone in the family says it.

There is an obituary here, and amazing social media tributes here. He will be sorely missed in this world.

11 comments:

  1. I know, Canada is so sad today.

    Do you have a favourite Vinyl Cafe story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all of a piece to me - like a family photo album. I'm fond of the aunt Dorothy- the first episode when we meet her. I love women like that. I would like to buy CDs of every single story, though as Tom says, there would be a sadness now. Thanks for coming by. I'd hoped you would.

      Delete
  2. Oh, no! I love listening to his Christmas stories every year. This is so sad! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Nan, for introducing me to this wonderful storyteller. I think I'll listen to the cd this weekend, even though I listened 2 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so perfect. He brought listeners right into his stories. The characters are like real people to me.

      Delete
  4. I heard he had cancer and had stopped doing the show. I was introduced to him by friends that discovered him when on vacation in Newfoundland. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listened to some in the last few days. I never heard of Stuart McLean before reading about him on your blog. What a treat!!! Thanks Nan and may he rest in peace.Laura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to listen to his gentle work.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.